Die-Attach and Flip-Chip
Die Attach, also known as Die Bond, is the process of attaching a die or multiple die to a Printed Circuit Board, Rigid Flex, Flex or Ceramic substrate. Precision X/Y placement accuracy and repeatability requirements for die placement and die height are critical in Microelectronic products for Automotive/LiDAR, Medical/Biotech, Industrial & Automation and many other applications.
Epoxy die attach is the most common die attach process.
- High precision die-attach with Conductive (Silver) or Non-Conductive epoxy.
Eutectic Die Attach with AuSn (Gold-Tin @280C), AuSi (Gold-Silicon @ 363C).
- Eutectic scrub with the substrate heated-up to high temperature.
Flip Chip is a method of interconnecting IC chips with solder bumps/balls that have been deposited onto the top-side IC chip pads to a substrate. The IC chip is flipped over during assembly so that its top-side faces down.
The solder bumps/balls are deposited on the top-side chip pads of the wafer during the final wafer processing steps. Solder balls are eutectic or lead-free.
Precision Die-Attach, Flip-Chip and Multi-Chip capability
- X/Y Placement +/-7um accuracy @3s, Theta Placement +/-0.15° accuracy
- Die Attach die size: 0.2mm – 50mm (0.008” to 2.0”)
- Flip Chip die size: 0.5mm – 50mm (0.020” to 2.0”)
- Die thickness: 0.05mm – 0.75mm (0.002” to 0.030”)
- Die/ Flip-Chip pick from: wafer, waffle pack, Gel-Pak and JEDEC tray
- Die place to: PCB, Rigid-Flex, Flex, Ceramic and other substrates
- Integrated Musashi time-pressure Dispenser and Epoxy stamping
Vacuum Solder Reflow Station (with Formic Acid Option)
- For High Reliability Complex Microelectronic Assembly
- Flux-Free Solder and Void-Free Eutectic Die Attach
- Hermetic Package Sealing. Heated Area 5” x 4”; Process Area 4.5” x 3.5”
- 450°C maximum temperature, 100 millitorr minimum vacuum
100% Forced Convection Solder Reflow
- Conveyor accommodates PCB’s up to 18” wide and 2.2” height clearance
- (10) Zone with independent controlled top and bottom heaters up to 350°C
- 120” Heated Tunnel length, plus (2) computer controlled cooling Modules
- Complete ECD Gold Profiling and Storage Software
- PID temperature control to ensure zone stability to +/-1°C
- Air or Nitrogen reflow capability with Inert Atmosphere <100 PPM of Oxygen
Microfocus 160Kv XRAY Inspection
- Extended BGA and Flip-Chip Inspection including void analysis
- PCB and Complex Microelectronics Assembly Inspection
- Semiconductor Packaging including Wire Bonding inspection
- Bottom Termination Components: QFN, BGA, LGA, Flip-Chip
- 2000X geometric magnification and 17,500X total image magnification
- X-Ray tube with 25-160 kV voltage range, and <1 um detail detectability
Bond Test (Wire-Bond and Die-Shear)
- Wire Bond Strength Testing: DPT and NDPT
- Die Shear Strength Testing
- Ball Shear Strength Testing
Plasma Cleaning: Wire Bond surface preparation
- To clean organic contaminants and ensure bondability and reliability
- RF Plasma Power: 40KHz, 0-1000 watt @450-550VAC, selectable power
- Dry nitrogen for backfill with mass flow control for Argon and Oxygen
Metrology: Precision Measurement of substrate and assembly
- XY=2.6um+L/175, Z=3.0um+L/150 accuracy, 315x315mm work area
- Precision X, Y and Z linear ways, motorize programmable zoom lens.
- Camera and Optics: High-Res Color, with Zoom Range 36:1 (15X-540X)
- InSpec Metrology Software: point & click, proprietary edge detection
- Advanced Illumination: Multi-Ring LED Lighting: Surface, Profile and Axial